idolatry
You said, ‘can
I show you I love you?’
and I said ‘yes’
but cried, cause I knew
to believe
you would cost every protective lie
and to hear
you would silence each false lullaby
and to see as
you see would blind my sad eyes
to my
hoarded-up griefs. Oh my God,
what is left
once my temples collapse
and my
altars and shrines melt down? Where will I take
the black
roosters of sleepless nights, where will I make
sacrifices
of blood dark as mornings I wake
with a terrified
heart, or the ripest
gold grains
and rich fruit of my mind
in its
battles to meet failure’s quotas? And how
will I dance
without ritual laments, fight without
ceremonial
armor and furious shouts,
look the
world in its face without mask
or pretense
that I’m somehow enough?
What will
save me when spells weaken, bonfires yield
midst the blackness,
the evil eye sees my concealed
deepest loves
and its hands ooze like something congealed
all across my
life? And... who will I be
once I give up belonging to Fear?
| photocred K. Enterline |


Oh my God. (Both a swear and a prayer.)
ReplyDelete